You can never be fully prepared when a traumatic experience occurs, but there are strategies to help you weather the emotional storm, writes Patricia Flokis.
1. Seek spiritual guidance, especially if your faith has been rocked or re-ignited by trauma.
2. Fight feelings of isolation or depression by keeping up your social routines.
3. Join a support group, especially if you need reassurance that what you’re feeling is normal.
4. If you’ve lost a loved one, focus as much as possible on positive memories.
5. Mark, or celebrate, progress or breakthroughs.
6. Keep exercising, start meditating. Both are powerful resilience tools.
7. Keep upbeat. Do things that make you smile.
Finding it tough? Make sure you pick up a copy of Good Health’s May issue for more tips that will help you get through.
Finding it tough? Pick up a copy of the May issue of Good Health magazine or subscribe at magshop.co.nz for more tips what will help get you through difficult times.