Transform your office space into a supportive, uplifting zone, writes Bonnie Cleaver.
We spend plenty of our waking hours at work, but for many of us, it’s the last place we’d go to for a vitality boost. Thankfully, there are ways to make your workspace better for you, from simple additions like a pot plant or an inspiring mantra, to at-your-desk yoga and meditation.
The result: your energy levels, creativity and job satisfaction will soar. So go on, get to work!
PHOTOS: How to get your body moving at work
Mini yoga routine
“Including mini yoga sessions in your working day helps reduce stress and anxiety, improve energy levels and relieve neck and back tension,” says yoga instructor Prameet Kotak.
He recommends doing the following routine three times daily:
- Rotate your shoulders 10 times in reverse and five times forward.
- Twist your neck from left to right, repeating 10 times on each side. Follow with 10 neck side bends on each side.
- Before starting, lock your chair wheels or use a sturdy, stable chair.
- When seated, look over one shoulder so you get a twist from the neck to the lower back. Repeat on other side.
- Leading from your neck, bend your body to one side. Repeat on the other side.
- Rest your hands behind you with your palms down on chair (similar to a tricep dip). Lift buttocks off chair, arching your back.
- Drop your head and chest to your knees.
For plenty more workplace tips pick up the May issue of Good Health magazine or subscribe at magshop.co.nz.