A US teen is believed to have contracted a flesh-eating virus from a razor while shaving her legs.
Kaylee Queen, an 18-year-old from Michigan, was admitted to hospital on August 19 after noticing a rash and thinking she had a case of the flu.
"She had a band starting from her leg and up to her abdomen and her side and it was a raised rash, it was like two inches, like a warped rash," Kaylee's mother Dianna told local TV station ABC 12.
The teenager had been in hospital for several days without improving when doctors suddenly called her mother to say she was having surgery.
Surgeons stripped tissue and muscle from her legs that had been destroyed by the bacteria.
Mrs Queen said doctors found two kinds of bacteria had attacked Kaylee's body — one diagnosed as a flesh eating disease and one that has not been identified.
"They may never know exactly how this happened, but going from the site of where it started, it could have been from shaving," Mrs Queen said.
Doctors have contained the infection and expect it will take Kaylee two to three months to recover.