There's no need to hold an inquiry into faulty hip replacements, the government says.
Labour has renewed its call for an inquiry after a second product recall but Health Minister Tony Ryall says the answers an inquiry would seek are already known.
Johnson and Johnson recalled its metal hip implants in 2010 after tiny metal fragments broke off, leaking into blood and poisoning it.
On Friday Medsafe recalled another metal product, MITCH THR, because it was found to have a higher-than-expected failure rate three years after implementation.
Medsafe says 41 patients are affected and surgeons are being urged to contact patients.
Labour's health spokeswoman Maryan Street says more than 500 New Zealanders have Johnson and Johnson hip replacements and only a fraction have had more surgery to replace the original device.
"Now we have more people who have been given another metal-on-metal device which has proven to be faulty," she said on Monday.
Ms Street wants parliament's health select committee to hold an inquiry.
She tried to get one last month but government members blocked it.
Mr Ryall says the hip replacements got into New Zealand because they were approved internationally in the UK, the US, Canada and Australia.
"Medsafe is working closely with international agencies to better understand any possible health effects," he said.
"An inquiry is unnecessary, the answers to any inquiry questions are already known."
Mr Ryall says the Australian Senate has already looked at the issue and its report is publicly available.